console interface

BenoitGrégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Feb 11 00:48:58 CST 2003

On February 2, 2003 04:06 pm, E. Oltmanns wrote:
> Hello altogether,
>
> first of all I'd like to beg your pardon if this isn't the place to
> answer questions like mine. Please tell me the right address in that
> case.
>
> A few weeks ago I searched in the inter net for home banking software
> for linux. Thats how I got interested in GnuCash and especially in its
> HBCI facilities. Unfortunately it turned out soon that GnuCash in its
> current state is unusable for me because its a gnome based
> application. I'm blind and therefore unable to use applications
> running under the x-system. So my question is (you guessed it!)
> whether it might be possible to write a console interface to GnuCash,
> for example using ncurses or something similar. It might be most obvious
> that I have hardly an idea about the problems related to such a
> project. Perhaps you can think about the suggestion or explain the
> reason why it should be impossible to realize a console solution.

I think some of GnuCash can be accessed from the command line (or used to),
but I don't know which parts.  Gnucash was designed as a visual app.  A
curses interface would theorically be possible, especially after the
gnome2/kde ports, but it would be a very large undertaking.  I suspect
however that a "graphical" curses interface isn't what you want.  I suppose a
convenient interface for a blind person would have a very different design
than the graphical interface that currently exists.  I don't know if any of
us have the skills to design such an interface.

However, this may be of interest to you, it is a console front to the openhbci
library:  http://aqmoney.sourceforge.net/

--
Benoit Grégoire
http://step.polymtl.ca/~bock/