Report writing information

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 24 00:15:52 CDT 2003

Craig Finch <oanjao at yahoo.com> writes:

> Derek,
> I overcame my fears of upgrading Gnucash and got
> 1.8.4.  It wasn't nearly as scary as your Web page
> describes. To upgrade from 1.6, I only had to update
> g-wrap.  Now I have all the latest reports, but
> fortunately nobody stole my idea ;)

I'm not sure where in the web page it suggests that
upgrading from 1.6 to 1.8 should be difficult.  Indeed,
the only thing that needs to be upgraded is g-wrap.
This was done on purpose. ;)

> I'm writing a cash flow report for personal finance.
> I want to know what percentage of my monthly salary is
> being directed to necessary expenses, frivolous
> expenses,  savings, investments, and retirement
> assets.  Eventually I will be adding more
> budgeting/personal finance functions.

Well, have you looked at the existing cash flow report?
It doesn't give you percentages, but it does give you
the actual amounts spend on "each thing"..  Basically
it looks at a set of accounts and totals up all the
ingres and egress transactions and shows you the
totals of all ingres and egress to each account touched.

You might want to base your work on that (if the existing
Cash Flow report isn't good enough).

Regardless, feel free to send your new reports into us
and we'll include them in future releases.