Net Asset Calculation

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu Mar 13 00:44:05 CST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 13:49, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> As good an idea as this may sound, the simple fact of the matter is that
> at this time it wouldn't actually help. To be able to build a team as
> you describe you need people to cover all the area's the project needs.
> Not just testing. This project barely has enough programmers to keep up
> with the flow of bugzilla entries we have, let alone the increased
> number of bugs your testing team idea would generate. I would be willing
> to go along with this, but first you need to increase interest among
> people in GnuCash sufficient that we have programmers with time to work
> on things for all the major code areas, documenters that are willing and
> able to document what the coders do, people willing to update the
> website, help with releases, etc. I'd say that you need a bunch of
> people willing to work on these things _before_ you get to a 'testing
> team', otherwise its simply a misdirection of energy.

If I were to nominate an area that I thought would be the most
productive in helping build the team, I'd be suggesting that the
developer documentation is sadly lagging behind the rest of the
development. The number of times we've had people pop up and say "I'd
like to do <thing>, where's the doco to explain it?" has been
impressive. Unfortunately, the vast majority of them get disheartened
when told "Oh, look at the code, its the most up-to-date doco we have"
and we never hear from them again. If we could stop that happening, we'd
have a much larger pool of people to draw on to tackle the other
problems.

> Thank you for taking the time and energy to _become_ involved, thats
> often the step most people miss

I can't agree more with what Chris has said here. Please don't be put
off by our apparent resistance to your suggestion, but that really
wouldn't help the situation just at this point. First problems first...
:-).

Conrad.
--
Conrad Canterford  (conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au)