Translation problems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 20 01:22:56 CDT 2003

Reinke Bonte <reinke.bonte at web.de> writes:

> I agree that there is a shortcoming of gettext, but at least this "none"
> and "new" thing can easily get fixed.
>
> The programmer should write _("New Account"), _("New Loan") or _("New
> Invoice") in the source code. The translator for the English languages
> (en_US, en_GB etc.) can than translate those by "New" if he wants to be
> shorter. I think there are very few desktop users who have set there
> lang environment to "C", most people in English speaking countries have
> set it to "en". So this should create any problems for the English
> reading audience.

That presumes there are different UIs for different objects, which is
not necessarily true.  For example, "New" is used in four places, once
is a scheme file, once in a glade file, and twice in C source files.
So, yea, that might be changable..  Feel free to submit a patch
against CVS HEAD (I don't want to gratuitously change strings in 1.8).

If you can find places where you can differentiate, feel free to do
so.  I'm not adverse to fixing the problem, but I just think it might
be difficult to do so in all places.