Turkish localization

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Oct 21 10:11:49 CDT 2003

Dear Alper,

A. Alper ATICI schrieb:
> I discovered Gnucash a couple of months ago, was interested in it, and
> then I've found myself translating it into Turkish, 1080 strings so far,
> plus some accounts (also added a custom one).

Wow, this is good work! Thanks a lot for starting a Turkish translation.
We absolutely welcome every new effort to port GnuCash into yet new
languages.

> 2. Is this the correct list I should pose questions about translation
> technicalities? If not, which one?

Yes, this is absolutely the correct list. Don't hesitate to ask
immediately when things are not clear. I hope you already found the
doc/TRANSLATION_HOWTO -- Jon Lapham collected a lot of frequently asked
questions about translation work there.

> Considering I'm not an accountant, this is no trivial task but I want to
> finish it after all. So, I have several questions:
>
> 1. How fatal are Gtk-CRITICALs? Are they just annoyances, or signs of
> possible memory leaks, future crashes or sth? (GNOME 1 strings/shortcuts
> for Turkish may also be broken, which I'm reluctant to fix)

In a sense the Gtk-CRITICALS are not fatal since GnuCash doesn't crash.
However, in normal operation they shouldn't show up -- i.e. if the
developers see some of these we usually try to fix the cause for it. It
depends which messages you see. I could guess you see Gtk-CRITICALs
because of an issues with our "menu entries insertion code", as
discussed e.g.
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2003-May/009191.html and
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2003-February/008527.html
, see the May message for a description how to deal with that.

> 3. How is the decision to start a national gnucash-users mailing list
> made? (I guess one will be necessary when tr.po is finished)

Conventionally we didn't have any localized gnucash-users mailing list.
Only a year ago we started the German one (especially since the HBCI
module was introduced) and it turned out to be quite successful
(currently 200 subscribers, 2-5 postings per day). And only a few
months/weeks ago we started a French and an Italian speaking mailing
list, but I don't know about the traffic there. Usually you should have
at least 3-5 people (i.e. testers or occasional contributors) that would
regularly answer emails in your national language before you consider
setting up a national-language mailing list.

Good luck with more translation work, and don't hesitate to ask here if
there is anything unclear.

Christian