Translation problems

A. Alper ATICI alper.atici at softhome.net
Wed Oct 22 09:26:30 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 11:11:24PM +0200, Eneko Lacunza wrote:

> 	I think that it would be better to have more meaningfull msgids.
> "New at Profile#", "New at Account#", etc. seem more reasonable to me. :)

Yes, I understand your concerns, but that mangling scheme is to be on
the safe side, such as:

1. The mangled string must not clash with any current/future actual
strings.
Though it's unlikely that GnuCash will need to use a string like
"New at Account#", it's more unlikely to ever need sth. like "New at 001#".

2. The mangling scheme should provide for easy spotting for developer.
So we're better off with sth. non-alpabetic, not translated ever.
Let's say there's a string about new account numbers in the source,
like "New Account #", and there will be that "New at Account#" somewhere,
and a translator has asked for a new "New"...
I wouldn't fancy that if I were the developer.

3. I believe some form of ordinality in mangling scheme would be very
useful.

4. Fixed length mangling string would also be very useful.

Well, it's all up to the developers in the end.

regards,
A. Alper ATICI