Book Closing in HEAD kills objects in a "bad" order, corrupts memory.

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed May 26 09:43:06 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:34:24AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
>
> > On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:33:18AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> >>
> >> DEBUG: Enter: qof_object_book_end
> >
> > OK.  right, reordering would be non-trivial.
> >
> > The if (book_ending) flag sounds like a good idea.
> >
> > Are you fixing this, or do you really want me to do it?
>
> I'll add the book_ending flag and fix it (at least in the gnucash
> code).  I just wanted to verify with you that this was incorrect
> behavior that should get fixed, and that adding the book_ending flag
> is the "best" solutions.  At some level it seems a bit hackish, but on
> another level it is sort of the "right" solution...

I've been meditating on a quote from one of the gnome developers
(Havoc Pennington?) "95% of all code is junk", and actually its true.
So you hack around it until the 'right' way becomes clear, and
then do it the right way.  Unfortunately, to paraphrase Niel Young,
"bit rot never sleeps", so that 95% figure probably stays constant
over time ...

--linas