lib/libc/strptime.h|c

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 16:25:32 EDT 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 7:12 pm, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 18:08 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> It would be simple enough to change
> the two file backend related preferences from using gconf to some other
> method.  However, that would introduce inconsitencies in how gnucash
> preferences are stored.  I'd much rather QOF have API functions to set
> the compression and backup values.

Agreed.

> That would leave gnucash with
> consistent preferences storage, and would allow different applications
> using QOF to have different preference settings.

Yes, I've been toying with similar questions around the QSF backend. The
current QofBackendProvider mechanism does need to provide more than just a
init() function, some form of config also needs to be passed to the backend
from whichever application is using QOF.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> We have different definitions of "gnome".

:-) I see that now.

> None of "libxml2, glib, pilot-link" are gnome libraries.  Gnome-pilot is
> gnome code, but pilot-link isn't.

That was just an example of a CLI that has strict rules on installing without
GUI dependencies. The perception of Glib as a Gnome library is hard to shift
- I admit I need to make that clearer in my own documentation of PilotQOF
etc.

> Glib is not gnome.  Yes, its a library that began with gnome, but its
> now a system portability library that lives underneath gtk.  By gnome I
> mean libgnome and any libraries that live on top of that.  Note that
> glib is documented at www.gtk.org, not www.gnome.org.

That also causes confusion, I had a few problems with PilotQOF originally
because people thought that using Glib meant installing Gtk.

Mind you, the API for Glib is documented at developer.gnome.org:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/index.html
along with other libraries that we both would identify as Gnome:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/

--

Neil Williams