scheme multichoice options untranslated! (was: Updated Norwegian Bokmaal & Questions again)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Dec 22 16:25:47 EST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 22. Dezember 2005 18:07 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Quoting linux at strigen.com:
> > So, another "problem" can someone with some look into the following:
> > In the: Stylesheet edit dialog. -> Easy stylesheet -> The picture dialog
> > -> The Heading alignment choices left,right,center is not found in the
> > .po file.
> > I have found this one, but it doesn't show up after the install of the
> > new .po file
> > #. src/report/stylesheets/stylesheet-easy.scm
> > #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:2534
>
> You mean the translation is never made?  It's possible that the code is
> using (N_ ..) instead of (_ ..) and the translation is never happening.

Actually the string is very well present in the po files. BUT there is one big
change in SVN-HEAD vs. 1-8-branch: ALL the multichoice option entries that
were filled from scheme are no longer translated! (Those from glade files are
translated correctly.)

To reproduce:

   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 gnucash
then open a report, e.g. "Berichte" (reports) -> "Aktiva &
Passiva" (assets&liabilities) -> "Aktiva Tortendiagramm" (the second item;
assets piechart). Then open the options dialog by the toolbar button
"Optionen", and immediately on the "Allgemein" (general) tab the bottom
multichoice option "Preisberechnungsquelle" (price source) has only english
entries. The translations are 100% contained in the de.po file, so this is
not because of missing translations.

To fix this: In 1-8-branch the entries of the multichoice combo-boxes were
passed in untranslated form from scheme to ... well, wherever it was passed
to. Hence the strings of the "price source" multichoice options are defined
with (N_ "...") in src/report/report-system/options-utilities.scm. In the
1-8-branch these untranslated strings were then passed through gettext before
they were displayed. Obviously this doesn't happen anymore. David, any
idea...?

Unfortunately I have no idea where the actual point of translation was in the
1-8-branch -- whether that was in gnucash's C code for the multichoice
options, or in the scheme code, or in libglade. Therefore I don't know where
to fix this...

> > And the stings similar to the one below.. Are these installed with the
> > make install? I have done that, and can't find them on the help menu
> > thing...
> > #. src/scm/help-topics-index.scm
> > #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:3154
> > I thought they were supposed to go into the index of the help file. I
> > still have english index. (I know the rest of the help documents needs to
> > be translated separately.
>
> The help system changed in g2.  I'm not even sure that this file
> (help-topics-index.scm) is even used anymore.  I might be wrong.

@Tor Harald: The status of the help-topics-index.scm really is unclear at the
moment. You can safely skip the translations of all strings from that file
for now.

> > Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks for the good help!!

Merry Christmas to you as well. Thank you for your hard work!

Christian