GnuCash Documentation in pdf Format

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 14:07:44 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 February 2005 8:35 am, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 12:50 am, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:43 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> The
> only change I'm considering is for each imagedata:
> <imagedata foo="stuff" />
> <imagedata foo="stuff"></imagedata>

Don't I feel the mug. I don't need to change any of the XML content - and even
when I do, when I test with the full guide or manual, the number of errors
causes the converter to bail out and no PDF gets written.

The solution was easy, back to the original CVS output, copy in the two SGML
files and use the -e no-valid option to docbook2pdf to suppress the errors.
Bingo.

So none of the imagedata tags need changing, I've tried what I can to get the
images installed in the PDF but it won't have it. So I'll put a summary of
this in the README and commit.

----------------------------README content------------

If you have docbook-utils installed, you can convert this documentation
into other formats like PDF, DVI, TXT, texi, RTF. docbook-utils is SGML
based and so a SGML header file is provided. The content files are still
XML based - this doesn't cause problems for conversion to HTML but to
generate PDF's validity errors need to be suppressed:

-e no-valid

Currently, there are also problems incorporating the images into the
PDF versions. However, unlike the XML/XSL tools, docbook-utils will
generate a valid PDF, albeit without images.

Examples:
---------
Convert the GnuCash guide to a single HTML file:
cd guide/C/
docbook2html -u gnucash-guide.sgml

Convert the GnuCash guide into a PDF:
cd guide/C/
docbook2pdf -e no-valid gnucash-guide.sgml

Neil Williams
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/
http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
http://www.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/