Confusion about use of G2

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 16:03:21 EDT 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 8:17 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > I agree none of the QOF stuff is related to the GUI port to Gtk2 but it
> > is all related to the underlying port to glib-2.
> >
> > The original desire for a G2 port, in my understanding, was to port
> > gnucash to the gnome2 libraries, not just port the GUI to Gtk2.
>
> That's my understanding as well.  So, what functionality in glib1 is
> missing from glib2 that requires the QOF pullout?

Principally the backend load method. QSF also requires a recent libxml2 that
the 1.8 tree could not support which is why it was committed to G2 in the
first place.

> Is this a tree-sync
> issue? i.e.: external QOF has moved forward to version w/o glib1,
> therefore the easiest way to remove glib1 dep from gc is to upgrade
> internal qof to new version, which requires massive factoring?

All that work has already been done and copied into gnc. It is also in QOF and
I merely wish to not duplicate such large amounts of code.

G2 will work on glib-2 on those platforms that don't package QOF - I just want
to make sure it's possible to use QOF on those platforms that DO provide it.

--

Neil Williams