Compiling on Fedora Rawhide

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 14:04:37 EDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 12:13 pm, Michael D. Wise wrote:
> The second error I get is:
>
> gog-axis.c:1690:58: error: macro "GSF_CLASS_FULL" requires 10 arguments,
> but only 7 given
> gog-axis.c:1693: error: syntax error before 'GogAxisType'

That's a mismatch in the underlying dependencies of the goffice code. You
could use the conditional goffice build. Unfortunately, this doesn't yet
provide the same functionality. I'm looking at that (but would like some
help).

Although G2 could package the dependencies of the goffice snapshot in
lib/goffice, I'd rather see how much is involved in getting the existing code
in src/gnome-utils to work with the external goffice libraries (which have
been in Debian unstable for some time and will filter into other
distributions sooner rather than later).

AFAICT, the internal goffice code only compiles on FC3. Other distributions
have later dependent libraries that break the internal snapshot. These can
(realistically) only expect to use the goffice external libraries. Once
goffice-dev is installed, gnucash will compile using that code.

Personally, I don't want G2 to only have functional graphing capabilities on
FC3 and similarly "old" distributions. I think we need to embrace the
released goffice libraries, try to track the changes and get into sync with
the evolving goffice API.

> At this point my compile errors out.  I don't know is there's anything I
> can do to fix this, but I wanted to pass the information along.

1. If older libraries are available, you could downgrade certain goffice
related packages. Currently, I can't identify which but FC3 is a good
indication. How this would affect any other applications on your distribution
is unknown.

2. Any help matching the current code to the goffice API would be useful -
there is currently no tracking of changes or comparison of how the snapshot
relates to the full API.

This macro change is just one small part of the picture. Take a look at -
src/gnome-utils/gnc-html-graph-gog.c for a hint of how the external code
differs from the snapshot.

--

Neil Williams