Compiling on Fedora Rawhide

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 14 16:02:48 EDT 2005

Quoting Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk>:

> If you are compiling and linking against non-FC4 (or non-default)
> versions, in
> what sense do you mean it compiles on FC4 - would it compile on a "base" FC4
> with only the development libraries for the default library versions? (This
> is the FC3 system I use to test builds - completely unchanged from the
> default install except for -dev versions of the existing libraries.) {It
> can't actually be changed, it's only got 100Mb of spare disc space!!!}

On FC4:

~# rpm -q libgsf
libgsf-1.11.1-2

FTR, David has recompiled the glib/gtk libraries with debugging support
in order to track down some bugs in our code.  I'm fairly sure he's using
the same versions as come in FC4, but his own (debug-capable) versions.

Frankly I think he should've just grabbed the SRPM and run rpmbuild --rebuild
on it and then installed the new package + the debuginfo package that
would've been built alongside it.

> I need to be able to build G2 against a pure Debian environment because that
> is what I need for my other code like QOF, pilot-qof and cashutil.

We all want to be able to use the default versions..

> (This is why I resisted Derek's suggestion of compiling gwrap from
> source when
> I had all those problems with disable-error-on-warning.)

My suggestion was a short-term workaround until Andreas got the
g-wrap 1.9 package working.  It was never intended to be a long
term solution.  It was a suggestion to get you working again until
the g-wrap package was fixed.