Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Oct 16 15:17:30 EDT 2005

Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2005 19:03 schrieb Neil Williams:
> > > But in time for cashutil, which also involves structural changes to the
> > > codebase, this would be useful. QOF spinout is required before cashutil
> > > can be merged into the gnucash tree.
> >
> > I would like to see this happen on a branch if you're planning on doing
> > it before the next release.
> >
> > What are those structural changes?
>
> Lots. Cashutil definitely needs a careful merge into gnucash - it's not
> going to happen any time soon.
>
> The logic levels are the largest component. However, cashutil does depend
> on external QOF.

I was about to say the same thing as Josh: Neil, you complained about the
"fear" that you deal with when committing code to the gnucash-gnome2-dev
branch. Well, a few weeks ago I already proposed that your further conceptual
changes should go to a separate branch, and at that time you seem not to like
that idea. But that way, you can fearlessly commit everything you think the
others should see, and the others can have a direct look on your proposals.
Seems like everyone agrees on this point.

It might be that you have several different conceptual changes in mind, and
from your other correspondence I gather that the one that gave the recent CVS
trouble is almost finished now. Nevertheless I really think any kind of
"fear" about committing can be put at ease once you commit on an extra
branch. That is very well possible already in the CVS system. Of course it
would be even easier in svn, but in CVS it is already possible.

Christian