Automake warnings in lib/goffice on Debian

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Sep 16 09:55:14 EDT 2005

On Friday 16 September 2005 2:17 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Note that these warning will occur *if and only if* you use gcc4, which
> is still not yet the default in many distributions. As unusual as it is
> for Debian :-) , in this case the default compiler of Debian is a higher
> version than what many other people use. Most other distributions still
> ship with gcc 3.3.x or 3.4.x as default. Please bear this in mind when
> complaining about compiler warnings -- most other developers here do not
> (yet) see this particular warnings.

:-)

> Besides, you can switch off this particular annoying
> "pointer-signedness-warnings" by -Wno-pointer-sign. That is probably the
> best option for you.

Aha! Thanks Christian. As you recommend, I would much rather ignore specific
warnings than ignore everything.

If I customise the Makefile.am's in this way, is there any harm in committing
the changes to main CVS or should I continue to enforce them only locally?

> I would advice against -Wno-error but rather switching off those
> particular warnings as described above. OTOH of course goffice shouldn't
> be fixed by us but rather by upstream.

I think it's a case of our goffice being an incomplete copy of a snapshot that
is under continuing development. Each release breaks ours a little more.
:-(

--

Neil Williams