gda-dev does not compile

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 20 15:17:09 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Espinosa <esodan at gmail.com>:
>
>>> Maybe.  The problem is that GnuCash has multiple backends.. Some of
>>> them
>>> require the save button, some do not.   I think the answer here is that
>>> the save button should always exist but only be active when the book
>>> is dirty.   In the case of a SQL backend, the book will never be dirty
>>> so "save" would never be active.
>>

>> Well at moment just exist one working: "the file", the other (The
>> PostgreSQL) backend  I think is unmaintaned or out sync with the
>> lastest 2.0 series.
>

> The PG backend still works, even in 2.0.  You just can't use the
> Save-As dialog to create a new one (because you cannot specify
> a URI in the interface).  So your understand is not completely correct.
> Regardless, the fact remains that we will still have the XML File Backend
> and the GDA backend, and the XML File Backend will still require a Save
> button..  So we cannot remove it.
>
> -derek

Would it make sense to simply hide the Save Button when the GDA backend
is in use?  Then it would not be visible to the user.

I would like to test the gda backend by saving (a copy of) my real data
to it.  How would I do that?  (I am testing gnucash-gda on a separate
machine from where I run gnucash with my real data.)

Mark