gda-dev does not compile

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 20 18:33:30 EST 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:
>
>>> The PG backend still works, even in 2.0.  You just can't use the
>>> Save-As dialog to create a new one (because you cannot specify
>>> a URI in the interface).  So your understand is not completely correct.
>>> Regardless, the fact remains that we will still have the XML File
>>> Backend
>>> and the GDA backend, and the XML File Backend will still require a Save
>>> button..  So we cannot remove it.
>>>
>>> -derek
>>>
>> Would it make sense to simply hide the Save Button when the GDA
>> backend is in use?  Then it would not be visible to the user.
>

> I already answered this in a previous message.   No.  It would be
> better to make the Save button sensitive based on whether or not
> the book is dirty.  But the button should always be there, for now.

My apologies.  I failed to adequately explain my two questions.  The
first time I asked about removing the button.  Clearly, this is a bad
idea due to supporting multiple backends.

By the second question, I meant to ask something more like what if the
button is hidden from view when a GDA backend is used.  The button code
would still be present, and if a non-SQL file were loaded, the button
would become visible.

Clearly, simply making it insensitive when the book is clean and
sensitive when the book is dirty would be easier to implement.

>> I would like to test the gda backend by saving (a copy of) my real
>> data to it.  How would I do that?  (I am testing gnucash-gda on a
>> separate machine from where I run gnucash with my real data.)
>

> My understanding is that right now there's not a good way of doing this
> because there's no way to input a URI in the File Chooser, so you
> cannot Save As to save to a GDA backend.   Fixing this is something
> that needs to happen..  Care to take a shot?  ;)

I was afraid that would be the answer.  I was hoping to maintain
duplicate books by entering the same transactions into the real XML file
and also into the GDA version to compare.

As for taking a shot at it, I am not sure my time-availability is up to
it for the next several months.

Mark