Suggested updates for Help - comments ?

Dave Herman dvherman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:46:35 EDT 2007

Chris et al,

I have been "working" on updating the Help documentation for some time,
the task just seems to keep getting longer and longer.

I have reached the stage that I would like some feedback on the
structure and contents of the document.  And encourage any one so
inclined for assistance.

I have broken the document into a number of files, in general there is
one for each chapter.  The files are now named "Help_ch_XXXX.xml" where
is XXXX is the chapter identification.  The FIGURES files also were
renamed.  The motivation for the name changes is that apparently both
the Help and T & C Guide files are placed in the same directory.

The document is now structured in two dimensions; 1) to assist
navigation though the GUI options, and 2) by description of various
actions (i.e. a chapter on operations related to accounts, a separate
chapter on transactions orientated operations).  Additional links
between sections were also added.  Created an appendix "tips & tidbits"
(sorry Beth Leonard I haven't added your PayPal discussion ... yet.)

There are still many areas that need updating - On-line banking,
Importing QIF/OFX files, Report printing and Custom reports to name a
few.  The Business facilities documentation also needs to be enhanced or
did I miss some things?

I'm attaching a tar of the Help files - unpack into a folder and open
"gnucash-help.xml" with yelp.

There are two tags in gnc-ui.h that will need to be updated, HL_USAGE
("usage") should point to the Business facilities chapter and
HL_SXEDITOR (tool-sched) should change to "trans-sched".

How should this be handled in svn?

Comments & Feedback ?

Dave