PO file typos

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Dec 23 16:36:15 EST 2007

Hi Clytie,

Am Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 2007 07:23 schrieb Clytie Siddall:
> I have just translated the file gnucash-2.2.1 for the Translation
> Project. In doing so, I've encountered the following typos, which I
> thought you might like to weed out in a future release.

very cool! Thanks a lot. Those are very good improvements.

As it turns out, the majority of errors that you've spotted are either
features which are still broken and for that reason hidden from the user, or
are from the GConf schemas files which means almost all users won't see them
either. In other words, the "normal" part of gnucash seems to be pretty
error-free :-)))

The majority of the issues you've pointed out can directly be applied by us.
In this mail, I'll simply summarize which ones I've already committed to SVN.
In another mail, I'll start to discuss those changes which I've not yet
committed but where some more discussion is necessary.

> 1.
> #.Translators: %1$s is the type of the first check
> #.* format (user defined or application defined); %2$s
> #.* is the filename of that format; %3$s the type of
> #.* the other check format; and %4$s the filename of
> #.* that other format.
> #: ../src/gnome/dialog-print-check.c:1091
> #, c-format
> msgid ""
> "The guids in the %s check format file '%s' and the %s check format
> file '%s' "
> "match."
>
> - guids
> + guides
>
> ?
>
> Unless you mean GUID?

Yes.

> 2.
> #.FIXME: each g_strdup_printf as well as g_strconcat
> #.will allocate a new string; all of these need to be
> #.freed later. Currently this causes a lot of memory
> #.leaks.
> #: ../src/gnome/druid-merge.c:355
> #, c-format
> msgid "%i:Parameter name: %s "
>
> - %i:Parameter
> + %i: Parameter

Yes, although the feature of src/gnome/druid-merge.c is still broken and
disabled for the user.

> 3. Should these be marked as translatable?
>
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:23
> msgid "button1"
>
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:24
> msgid "checkbutton1"
>
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:30
> msgid "radiobutton1"
>
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:32
> msgid "togglebutton1"

No, I've removed the "translatable" flag.

> 4.
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/print.glade.h:7
> msgid ""
> "Enter a title for this custom format.  This title will appear in the
> \"Check "
> "format\" selector of the Print Check dialog.  Using the title of an
> exiting "
> "custom format will cause that format to be overwritten."
>
> - exiting
> + existing

Yes.

> 5.
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_commodities.schemas.in.h:14
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_prices.schemas.in.h:8
> msgid ""
> "This setting contains a list of name which control the order in which
> the "
> "columns are listed in the dialog. Names may be reordered or removed
> from "
> "this list to control which columns appear in the dialog and in what
> order."
>
> - a list of name
> + a list of names
>
> - which control
> + which controls
> IF the list does the controlling, not the names themselves

Yes.

> 6. Do we need both of these strings?
>
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_common.schemas.in.h:2
> msgid "Default to 'new search' if fewer than this number of items is
> returned"
>
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_common.schemas.in.h:3
> #: ../src/gnome-utils/glade/preferences.glade.h:55
> msgid "Default to 'new search' if fewer than this number of items is
> returned."

No. I've removed the second one.

> 7.
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_warnings.schemas.in.h:12
> msgid "Remove a splits from a transaction"
>
> - a splits
> + a split
>
> This error also occurs in the following string:
>
> #: ../src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_warnings.schemas.in.h:22
> msgid ""
> "This dialog is presented before allowing you to remove a splits from
> a "
> "transaction."

Yes. Corrected.

> 10.
> #: ../src/gnome-utils/gnc-main-window.c:278
> msgid "Reset the state of all warning message so they will be shown
> again."
>
> - all warning message
> + all warning messages

Yes.

> 11.
> #: ../src/import-export/generic-import.glade.h:22
> msgid ""
> "For a new transaction, click on the \"Other Account\" entry to choose
> the "
> "other (destination) account of this transaction.\n"
> "For a transaction that is a duplicate of an existing one, click on
> the "
> "\"Other Account\" or \"Description\" entry to \n"
> "check whether GnuCash chose the right existing transaction.\n"
> "To switch transactions between both states, click on the checkmark in
> the "
> "\"New\" column.\n"
> "When all new transactions have the correct destination account and
> all "
> "duplicates are matched with the right existing transaction, \n"
> "click \"Ok\"."
>
> - Ok
> + OK

Yes.

> 12.
> #: ../src/import-export/generic-import.glade.h:32
> msgid ""
> "In some places commercial ATMs (not belonging to a financial
> institution) "
> "are installed in places like convienience store.  These ATM add its
> fee "
> "directly to the amount instead of showing up as a separate
> transaction or in "
> "your monthly banking fees.  For example, you withdraw 100$, and you
> are "
> "charged 101,50$ plus Interac fees.  If you manually entered that
> 100$, the "
> "amounts won't match.  You should set this to whatever is the maximum
> such "
> "fee in your area (in units of your local currency), so the
> transaction will "
> "be recognised as a match."
>
> - convienience store
> + convenience stores
>
> - These ATM add its fee
> + These ATMs add their fees
>
> - 100$
> + $100
>
> (also applies to other currency amounts)

Yes.

> 13.
> #: ../src/import-export/hbci/glade/hbci.glade.h:46
> msgid ""
> "The Setup of your Online Banking connection is handled by the
> external "
> "program \"AqBanking Setup Wizard\". Please press the button below to
> start "
> "this program.\t"
>
> It is unusual to have a tab character at the end of a string. Do you
> mean "\n" instead?

No, the extra tab accidentally slipped in. Removed.

> 14.
> #: ../src/import-export/qif-import/qif.glade.h:27
> msgid ""
> "If you are importing a QIF file downloaded from a bank or other
> financial "
> "institution, some of the information in the QIF file may duplicate "
> "information already in your GnuCash accounts.  GnuCash will try to
> detect "
> "duplicates of existing transactions.  \n"
> "\n"
> "On the next page, you will be asked to confirm that an existing
> transaction "
> "matches an imported transaction.  Imported transactions are shown on
> the "
> "left side of the page, and possible  matches for the selected left-
> hand "
> "transaction are shown  to the right.  There may be several old
> transactions "
> "that could match an imported transaction; you will be able to select
> the "
> "correct one by double-clicking in the \"Dup?\" column of the correct "
> "transaction.\n"
> "\n"
> "You can control the rules used by GnuCash to find duplicate
> transactions in "
> "the \"QIF Import\" section of the GnuCash Preferences dialog.\n"
> "\n"
> "Click \"Forward\" to find duplicate transactions. "
>
> There are two double-spaces within sentences:
>
> - possible  matches
> + possible matches
>
> - shown  to
> + shown to

Yes.

> 16.
> #: ../src/import-export/schemas/
> apps_gnucash_import_generic_matcher.schemas.in.h:12
> msgid ""
> "This field specifies the extra fee that is taken into account when
> matching "
> "imported transactions. In some places commercial ATMs (not belonging
> to a "
> "financial institution) are installed in places like convienience
> store. "
> "These ATM add its fee directly to the amount instead of showing up as
> a "
> "separate transaction or in your monthly banking fees. For example,
> you "
> "withdraw 100$, and you are charged 101,50$ plus Interac fees. If you "
> "manually entered that 100$, the amounts won't match. You should set
> this to "
> "whatever is the maximum such fee in your area (in units of your local "
> "currency), so the transaction will be recognised as a match."
>
> -  in places like convienience store
> +  in places like convienience stores
>
> - These ATM add its fee
> + These ATMs add their fees
>
> - 100$
> +$100
> (and for other currency amounts, as in error #12 above)

Yes.

> 17.
> #: ../src/report/report-gnome/window-report.c:246
> #, c-format
> msgid "Badly report id: %s"
>
> "Badly-formed report ID: %s"
> OR
> "Bad report ID: %s"
>
> ?
>
> The current string does not make sense.

Badly-formed report ID.

> 19.
> #.src/report/locale-specific/us/taxtxf.scm
> #.src/report/locale-specific/us/taxtxf-de_DE.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:320
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:410
> msgid "Sub-"
>
> This does not work in my language, and most likely does not work in
> some other languages.
>
> The "sub" part goes _after_ the word, in my language.
>
> Please supply a placeholder, so we can translate this string
> correctly, e.g.
>
> + "Sub-%s"

This whole file is US-specific and hence using US language only. That's why it
is in the directory "locale-specific/us", but I can see this is not at all
obvious for translators. I've removed this particular string from translation
because AFAIK it is not needed in translated form.

> 27. Do we need both of these strings?
>
> #.src/report/report-system/report.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:2858
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:2866
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:2868
> msgid "Stylesheet"
>
> #.src/report/report-system/report.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:2864
> msgid " Stylesheet"

No. I've removed the latter (i.e. I've moved the extra space to an
untranslated string).

> 28.
> #.src/business/business-reports/aging.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:3138
> msgid "Sort companys by"
>
> - companys
> + companies