r15549 - gnucash/trunk/lib/glib28 - Remove lib/glib28/gwin32-2.8.[ch] again.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 11 10:55:54 EST 2007

"Andreas Köhler" <andi5.py at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> David Hampton <gnucash at love2code.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 08:15 -0500, Andreas Köhler wrote:
>> > We depend on GLib >= 2.8 on Windows in configure.in, so there is no
>> > reason to include unused GLib 2.8 Windows-specific code. Oops. OTOH,
>> > gstdio-2.8.h is needed on Unix.
>>
>> If we're going to require glib 2.8 to build on windows, then we should
>> require glib 2.8 across the board.  Having different levels of system
>> libraries depending on the platform being used sounds like a sure way to
>> confuse end users.  Glib 2.8 was released 18 months ago on August 12th
>> 2005.
>
> A few weeks ago we agreed on GLib 2.6 & friends as our basic dependencies
> and I think that is just fine.  On Windows, we totally control what version
> is used to build GnuCash, the configure check for GLib 2.8 gives a
> definite signal that anything older is unsupported.  I have got the
> feeling, that "newer is better" fully applies here.  Nonetheless, I am
> pretty sure that end users will not care what we depend on, as long as the
> setup.exe works.  Unix users are simply unaffected.

I agree with Andreas here.  I think it's safe to depend on 2.6
everywhere except windows because, honestly, I wouldn't expect most
users to actually build the software themselves on Windows.  But
unless we really need to increase the baseline I don't see any
reason to move Unix to 2.8.