SX not entered to Register

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Feb 13 08:40:22 EST 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 21:10 -0500, Volker Englisch wrote:
> On 02/09/2007 02:01 PM Josh Sled wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 01:19 -0500, Volker Englisch wrote:
> >> a) Enter Values
> >> I just build GC 2.0.4 (R15521) on FC6.  I have a scheduled transaction
> >> for a utility bill coming up.  I click the "(need value)" field and
> >> enter the amount for the transaction and then I click OK.
> >> However, the transaction is not being entered to the register of the
> >> utility.
> >> Maybe I'm not using the new interface correctly?
> >
> > No, that sounds like the right path through the dialog.  One thing to do
> > is check the "Review created transactions" checkbox, make sure the list
> > contains what you expect
>
> No, that list does not contain the transaction I'm trying to enter.
> In fact, I have multiple transactions that are listed with the Instance
> State of 'Created' but they aren't included in the 'Review Register'.
> I am wondering if the transaction doesn't get created because it has the
>   status of 'Reminder'?
>
> Let me know if you'd like me to create screen shots to see this.

No need, I've seen this as well; the auto create transactions just
aren't included in the "created transaction" list.

BTW, r15546 added the ability to reset the variable back to blank/"need
value".

> > Here, I was about to suggest you use the "Review created transactions"
> > list, they're not present in that list/search.  It seems like they
> > should be, so I guess that's a bug.  Would that be sufficent ... it
> > seems like it's similar to the review page you'd get in the old UI.
>
> Yes, this would work.  However, I don't see how this would allow someone
> to hold back a transaction for a couple of days, if necessary?
> For instance, I am getting a rent check every month which is due on the
> first of the month but I delay the entry to the register until I have
> the check in my hand.  The old UI allowed me to set the status of such a
> transaction to 'Postpone' until I release it.

This is still true for non-auto-create transactions ... say, those that
have come due, or are created in advance.  The "State" column cells,
when clicked, are a combo box of the options.

Unfortunately, the GtkTreeView doesn't give any affordance that controls
might be available when cells are activated ... neither these combo
boxes or the variable-binding text entry fields.  :(

> To be honest, I am not too crazy about the new SLR interface.  I have 65
> scheduled transactions and with the new interface I will always have to
> scroll through the list to find one that may need to have values
> entered.  The old interface only showed those transactions I needed to
> act upon but not the entire list.  I could imagine having the list
> sorted by 'Instance State' so that the relevant transactions would
> bubble to the top.

The Ok button on this dialog will have a similar behavior to the "Next"
button on the to-create-transaction page from the old SLR druid: if
there is a transaction with unbound variable(s), it will focus it.

Perhaps it'd be better if there was a seperate "Find Unfinished" button,
and the Ok-button sensitivity was a function of the overall completeness
of the transactions; a count of the need-variables transactions
remaining would also be nice.

As well, it sound like a "hide complete" toggle might be welcome.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}