Current data file incompatibility of branch-2.0 vs. SVN-trunk

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sun Feb 18 09:24:55 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 12:40 +0100, Christian Stimming wrote:
> My suggestions:
>
> * First of all, I would like to have a quick'n'dirty solution for us
> developers who frequently swith back and forth between SVN-trunk and
> branch-2.0, but still want to use the same data file. This could even be an
> external command line script [3], but it should be in SVN anyway so that we
> keep track of what it does.

After chatting with David Reiser in IRC the other day about the
FreqSpec->Recurrence migration, I'd been convinced to do something along
these lines.

For the two incompatabilities we're talking about, we have recourse.  In
the case of the enabled flag, just don't write it and lose the info.  In
the case of the FreqSpec/Recurrence stuff, I'm planning on keeping the
FS and Recurrences in the object model, in parallel, and just writing
out the appropriate one.  At some point we'll need to drop the FS'es,
but not right away ... probably just before 2.1.0.  Also,
new-with-Recurrence features will obviously not be written, but
shouldn't write an incompatible datafile (just a broken one).

A gconf key seems like a simple way to specify this.  Probably something
generic like "apps/gnucash/development/data-file-compatability
(boolean)"?  I'm already modifying the SX XML code, so I'll add it in in
a soon commit.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}