gtkhtml3 - gnomeprint vs. GtkPrint

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Tue Feb 27 12:58:59 EST 2007

> I don't know if anyone else was already looking at this, but I took
> some time to look at handling the gtkhtml3-3.13.9x conversion to GtkPrint,
> in order to get gnucash building again for the Fedora devel tree.
>
> In short, I'm not sure how workable any conversion to simultaneously
> handle both is -
>
> 1) it changes the printing module from procedural to being done by
>    attaching handlers to a GtkPrintOperation
> 2) gnucash exports pretty much a bare wrapper on the gnome-print APIs to
>    scheme for the check-printing code, so that would have to be changed
>    as well

I started converting the check printing code to GtkPrint last weekend.

> 3) Even if gnucash is fixed to work with a GtkPrint gtkhtml... goffice
>    still uses gnomeprint in all released upstream versions.

This is where I see problems.  Gnucash embeds goffice pie charts and bar
charts into gtkhtml reports.  Not a problem today as both use
GnomePrint.  I'm not sure how we could do this if gtkhtml used GtkPrint
and goffice used GnomePrint.

> So, it would seem to me the best course of action is to just claim
> that gtkhtml-3.14 or later is unsupported; upstream is changing both
> the API and ABI version, so it should fail any configure check gnucash
> already has.

I'm afraid I agree.  Until goffice also converts to GtkPrint, I don't
know that we have any other course of action.

David