[Fwd: win32: gnome-vfs and openssl]

"Andreas Köhler" andi5.py at gmx.net
Thu Jan 18 06:09:40 EST 2007

Hi,

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:
> seem like the win32 install script should have installed a 0.9.7 version
> of openssl to start with (see Tor's message below), as the current 0.9.8
> version obviously is incompatible with the gnome-vfs binary that was
> built against openssl-0.9.7.

I am sorry that did not even check but just wanted _some_ openssl DLLs
to continue the work. I do not think there will be any problems if we
update to 0.9.8 as long as we provide an upgrade path in install.sh,
i.e. detect the older version somehow. I do not know off-hand, so where
are the DLLs installed to? Do we have total control over what openssl
is used effectively?

> We need to make a choice regarding openssl now. First concerning
> gnome-vfs:
>
> * Either we switch install.sh to use gnome-vfs without openssl
> * or we are forced to install openssl-0.9.7 (available at gnuwin32)
>
> I think I'd prefer to use gnome-vfs without openssl, especially since
> Tor said he has never tested the ssl parts of gnome-vfs on win32 anyway.

Seconded.

> Second, concerning openssl as a build requirement of gwenhyfar:
>
> * Either we build gwenhywfar with openssl-0.9.8
> * or with openssl-0.9.7 (i.e. uninstall openssl-0.9.8 and use 0.9.7
> instead)
>
> I'm fine with either one. The 0.9.7 version of gnuwin is a bit easier to
> handle since it contains pkgconfig and libtool files, but we can
> continue to use the 0.9.8 version just as well. Any opinion?

If you are able to build gwenhywfar with 0.9.8 on windows, then
I think we should use that. Or are there technical reasons not to
use the latest stable version?

> Christian

-- andi5