about check number heuristics

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Sat Jan 27 11:35:57 EST 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 12:50, Ethy H. Brito wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:17:39 +0100
>
> Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:
> > In particular, as you've mentioned OFX here,
> > http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-January/019062.html
> > I would strongly suggest to simply add a numerical comparison (in
> > additiona to the string comparison) in import-backend.c, as this
> > achieves your original goal of "good scores to imported transactions"
> > obviously much much easier.
>
> I agree and already did that. It is working.
>
> But somebody (maybe yourself) stated that "perhaps the importer could try
> to be more intelligent" and I simply offered to give my 2 cents.
>
> If you think this is not necessary (maybe this is a "problem" complained by
> myself only) I am satisfied with my (unsent) small patch. My sole intention
> was to contribute. ;-)

I think it's definitely worth ending your small patch.  Just be carefull about
the failure mode, so that it doesn't do a numerical conversion on text
strings and then conclude that 0=0.

Auto-increment is, IMHO a completely different problem.  I do use
alphanumerical values in ther check number regularily, but I never thought
that GnuCash could increment them for me, so I have no opinion on how/if it
should do it.

--
Benoit Grégoire
Technologies Coeus inc.