MS Win locale issue?

Davide Imbeni davide.imbeni at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:51:40 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Andreas Köhler <andi5.py at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 19.06.2007, 12:36 +0200 schrieb Davide Imbeni:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I did not mention I'm using Windows 2000; I did not find any Standards
> > and Formats", "Location" and "Language for non-Unicode
> > programs" in the Control Panel, Regional Settings. Instead, I can see,
> > among others:
> >
> > - General -
> > Locale (location) = Italian (Italy)
> >
> > - Numbers -
> > Decimal symbol = ","
> > Digit grouping symbol = "."
> >
> > - Currency -
> > Currency symbol = "L." (as in Italian Lira, why is it still there
> > after all these years!! :-( )
> > Decimal symbol = ""
> > Digit grouping symbol = "."
> >
> > I see there is no decimal symbol in the currency section, which makes
> > sense for the ITL admitted no decimals (being worth almost
> > nothing,,,)
> >
> > I don't export any LANG or LANGUAGE variables.
> >
> > I hope this helps
> > Thank you again
>
> I do not have access to a Windows 2000 machine, so may you please
> continue to try to fix this and post your results here?  Keep in mind
> that 2000 is well before we switched to the Euro :-)  Maybe a service
> pack or another Microsoft package can help here.

You have a point here. The fact is that the machine was installed and
configured in the spring of 2004. I guess they still preferred Windows 2000
before XP because of the legendary stability of the latter... (I guess it
shows, I only use Windows sometimes and because I'm forced to...)

Anyway, there is some Service Pack installed: the complete OS name is

Microsoft Windows 2000
5.00.2195
Service Pack 4

A workaround may be to activate Edit > Preferences > General > Numbers >
> Automatic decimal point.

I tried, it didn't help. I will play around with the locale settings, and
let you know if I get somewhere.

Thanks again

> Davide
>
> -- andi5