Release date 2.2.0? Another release candidate before that?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Jun 24 05:33:31 EDT 2007

Our 2.1.4 release candidate is receiving improved bugreports of things that
don't work. On the upside this means the package already works in the
majority of cases and with most features. I think we're progressing nicely
towards a 2.2.0 release that will work for enough Windows users so that we
can call it a stable release.

Open question from my side:

* Should we have another "release candidate" version (2.1.5) next weekend?
That would result in the final 2.2.0 around July 15th.

* Or should we just go ahead and prepare 2.2.0 next weekend?

As for the actual release and announcement date: As discussed on
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule , we need to set a date for
preparation of the source tarball, then allow some 2-3 extra days for the
preparation and upload of the Windows binary, and send out the announcement
after that. Nathan said he would prefer to have the announcement on a
Tuesday. If we aim for next weekend, this means: Source package is tagged in
SVN and uploaded on Saturday, June 30th. Binary package is created and
uploaded by Monday, July 2nd (and needs to be copied to gnucash.org as well).
Announcement is sent out on Tuesday, July 3rd. Does that sound fine?

If we decide on another release candidate 2.1.5 (which should be released as
usual with the immediate announcement), the above dates would be shifted by
two weeks.

Also, I've added some proposed announcements on
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Announcement_2.2.0 where one text was my first
try for a more story-like announcement, geared towards "popular press", and
the other text is our usual announcement for the more technically oriented
users. Everyone is invited to edit these heavily and improve by whatever you
can come up with.

Regards

Christian