[Inquiry]GNUCash SoC - Implementing Undo

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 21 04:49:32 EDT 2007

Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com> writes:

> It seems to me that an undo in a multi-user environment should be exactly
> equal to the user deleting (or changing, etc) the transaction manually
> back to what it was.

As pointed out, this isn't completely true.  In a multi-user environment
another user may have updated the transaction so your "undo" shouldn't
silently discard their changes.

> Meaning the log file would first show a 'do' transaction and later would
> show an 'undo' transaction, rather then the transaction not showing up in
> the log at all.

This is true..

> It's not exactly how undo on an editor works, but I think it's the right
> thing for gnucash. One consequence is that if you do something and then
> undo it, gnucash will ask you to save the file, while in an editor it
> wouldn't.

Well, in a multi-user environment you're certainly using a DB, so there
would be no "save".  Each Do/Undo would effect a save to the DB.