Several basic(dumb?) questions on the Help Document

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Mar 22 10:12:48 EDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 08:16:37PM -0600, Dave Herman wrote:
> While reviewing the Help document I have several questions.
> I'm using primarily svn (trunk r15744). FC6
>
> 1) The register display for a expense type account displays two amount
> fields labeled "Expense" and "Rebate". Is "rebate" the correct term?

Seems resonable to me.

> 2) When verifying the section on "Entering Multiple Split Transactions"
> I noticed that the Split icon & the Action > Split Transaction are not
> "active"(highlighted) - How are these options activated?
> I can add splits without the use of these options by simply adding lines
> in the register.  In fact on the transaction actions I've tried I have
> not been able to find the "Split" icon or the "Action > Split
> Transaction" enabled.  Can others see them enabled?

They're only enabled in "Basic Ledger" view.

> 3) The "Entering a Transactions via register" section has the line
> "Transactions with just one transfer account will show the name of that
> account in the Transfer field in completed transactions."
> Which is the "transfer" field?

the field where the account names go

> Whoops - Issue #3 maybe that "Transfer" field is not labeled in the
> register display, with View > Auto-Split Ledger enabled.

Well, if the cursor is on a transaction line, that header is blank.
If the cursor is on a split line, is says "Account".

In Basic Ledger view, it always says "Transfer".

> Are these issues relevant in light of the register rewrite?

I can't tell if you're suggesting that these "issues" are bugs to be
fixed, but in any case, the current register remains relevant for as
long as we're maintaining it.

-chris