finance::quote finally working for me in Windows

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Wed May 2 04:30:29 EDT 2007

Hi David,

David Reiser schrieb:
> The majority of the answer seems to be: clean(er) build. I had 'perl /
> c/soft/gnucash/inst/bin/gnc-fq-helper' working from a command line
> prompt, but it f::q wouldn't work inside gnucash. I threw away the
> build and inst directories and rebuilt gnucash (with a minor tweak to
> install.sh) and it works.

Interesting.  But you mean the build of GnuCash, right?  At least the
autotools cease to build with ActivePerl.

> The minor tweak results from the behavior that the response to:
>
> PERL -MConfig -e 'print $Config{"archlibexp"}'
> is C:\Perl\lib instead of /c/Perl/lib
>
> That perl command is how configure sets PERLINCL for numerous
> makefiles. If PERLINCL doesn't get set with a unix style path, the
> build stops with
>
> Making all in quotes
> make[3]: Entering directory `/c/soft/gnucash/build/src/quotes'
> rm -f gnc-fq-check.tmp
> sed < ../../../repos/src/quotes/gnc-fq-check.in > gnc-fq-check.tmp \
>              -e 's:@-PERL-@:/c/Perl/bin/perl:g' \
>              -e 's:@-PERLINCL-@:C:\Perl\lib:g'
> sed: -e expression #3, char 18: Unknown option to 's'
>

> The tweak was to add --with-perl-includes=/c/Perl/lib to the gnucash
> configure command in install.sh. Certainly not a good general
> solution, but at least it demonstrated that most of my problem was a
> crufty install folder.
>
> How does the standard windows build get @-PERL-@ right, but not @-
> PERLINCL-@?

PERL is found by AC_PATH_PROG by looking at the path.  PERLINCL is
returned by perl itself, i.e. ActivePerl will give you backslashes.  My
question rather is whether we need that line.

I would prefer the currently used perl, just because it works.  There
are only two problems with Finance::Quote:

* When starting from within MSYS, /bin/perl is chosen
* When starting from gnucash.bat, each time you retrieve a quote a
command window is opened for perl is opened as long as it runs

Both problems can solved by using an environment variable like GNC_PERL
(no, it does not work yet).  The value could be /c/perl/bin/perl or
wperl, respectively.  I still wonder whether there is way to use
GNC_PERL without

* depending on the existence of wperl
* using gnucash.bat, because actually I want to get rid of it
* polluting the users environment variables without telling him
(install-fq-mods.bat could ask and try, or recommend doing it yourself)

Any idea?

> Dave

-- andi5