r16077 - gnucash/trunk/src - Add gnc_history_remove_file, call it if the history file cannot be loaded, #388500.

Ariel asgnucash at dsgml.com
Mon May 14 12:49:08 EDT 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Ariel <asgnucash at dsgml.com> writes:
>
>> The problem is that there is no obvious way to remove a file from the
>> history menu. There is gconf, but it's not expected that users will know
>> how to use it.
>
> That's a completely different issue that automatically removing
> an unfound file at startup.  I completely support a context menu
> option to delete items from the history if there's really a call
> for it, but I think automatically removing it is the wrong thing.

That's fine with me, as long as there is a way.

>> I think it's easier for you to reopen your file, then it is for a user to
>> figure out which gconf key to remove.
>
> How often does a user need to remove an entry from their history?
> How often does a user store their datafile on a mounted volume?
> I think the latter is MUCH more common than the former, so we should
> optimize for the mounted volume, not the removing and entry.

Well, I disagree about which is more common. I think almost all users will
have a 'testing' file in the list. Probably just the one, but it's still
there.

>> Perhaps a confirmation dialog? (Carefully stated so that the user doesn't
>> think the file itself is being removed.)
>
> Uggh.   I admit that this was my first thought but..  Uggh.   Besides,
> we already HAVE a confirming dialog..  It says something to the affect
> of "Cannot open file".

Maybe a checkbox on the error dialog: 'remove history entry'?

> I need to go read the original bug report to see what this was
> TRYING to fix.

Well I wrote it, so I know what it says :)

Instead of doing that, search for an email to the user list with subject:
'How to get rid of saved file'. I wrote the bug report for the user who
emailed that (since I had the same question).

The feature request I wrote was just an idea for an easy way to remove
them. But any other method is fine with me, as long as it's possible, I
don't specifically need them removed when the file can't be opened.

 	-Ariel