Replacement Hardware for SVN/Wiki/List server

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 30 18:48:03 EST 2008

Unless I hear otherwise I plan to purchase the following hardware
as a replacement for the existing "GnuCash Everything Server".
The goal of this new machine is to play VM Host to the current
everything-server services as well as provide a place for VMs
for building and testing GnuCash on various OSes.

The main hardware (cost: $3069) is:

⢠2 x Quad-Core AMD Opteron⢠Model 2378 - 2.4GHz 6MB L3 Cache (75W)
⢠2 x Silent Cooler for AMD Processors
⢠Supermicro H8DA3-2 - EATX - nVidia MCP55 Pro + IO55 Chipset
⢠8 x 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 ECC Registered
⢠Supermicro SC743TQ-865B-SQ - 4U/Tower - 8 x 3.5" SAS - 865W (28dB)
⢠Included Supermicro 800W Power Module
⢠1000GB SATA 7200RPM - 3.5" - Seagate Barracuda® 7200.11
⢠Samsung 22x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer LightScribe (SATA)
⢠MSI nVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 (1xDVI, 1xVGA)
⢠Extended Three Year Warranty Advanced Replacement

In addition, NewEgg has a special on the Hitachi 7200RPM 32M Cache
1TB 3.5" drives..  They are $80/each.  So my plan is to buy a bunch
of those in order to raise the total to 4x1TB in a RAID-10 configuration
for a total of 2TB of usable space.

So, unless I hear any objections I plan to put in this order tomorrow.
Granted, the current server is down so it's unlikely you'll see
this email before I place the order, unless my friend successfully
resurrects the machine on some other hardware I have lying around
at home.  But HOPEFULLY that surgery will be a success.

My plan is to acquire this hardware now, then I can install and
deploy it in late January (I doubt I can install it from 1000-3000
miles away).  This will involve some downtime while the services
are moved to the new hardware.  I'll be sure to send out email before
that happens and keep everyone informed on IRC.

Happy New Year.