GDA interim benchmarking synopsis

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 14 11:15:14 EST 2008

I won't post specific numbers here yet.  I still have to explore some
adjustments to the queries, etc.

On SQLite, I ran VACUUM and ANALYZE prior to testing.  On MySql, I ran
ANALYZE on each table.  It doesn't have a VACUUM command.  (VACUUM
probably did nothing for SQLite anyway as a freshly saved db should have
no space to reclaim.)

SQLite performs poorly on versions of queries using joins.  It performs
very well on forms of queries using sub-queries.  The sub-queries take
the place of the current lists of guids being sent by the register
opening queries.  These are somewhat slower than the current versions,
but still sub-second.  The join versions of the queries take seconds to
minutes to run.  Unacceptable performance for joins.

MySql performs very well on versions of the queries using joins.
However, it lends new meaning to the word "abysmal" when using
sub-queries.  The worst query took 38 minutes to run!  (This one was
sub-second on SQLite.)  The MySql manual indicates that it runs
sub-queries from the outside to the inside.  This appears to mean that
for every row considered by the "outside" query, it re-runs the "inside"
query.  At least, this is consistent with the extreme run-times of these
queries.

PostgreSQL can only be partially tested due to the SERIAL problem.  I
think it will perform well on both forms of query, but it is hard to be
sure when the slots queries seem to be the most challenging.

SQLite and MySql are completely opposite as to which queries perform
well and poorly.  That's why I want to see if I can adjust the queries
and indices to do better.

I may take a break from this to see about patching the PostgreSQL
provider to test it, too.

Mark