GDA spurious save dialog

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 29 11:46:28 EST 2008

Mark Johnson wrote:
> I see from the ChangeLogs and message traffic that the issues arising
> from the missing SQL records have been dealt with.
>
> I have patched and compiled libgda 3.0.2 with the following two patches:
> 1. Escaping of single quotes in strings is corrected.
> 2. the patch for the PostgreSQL provider returning "INSERT 0 1" on a
> successful insert.
>
> The svn log indicates that gnucash-gda no longer adds AUTO_INCREMENT
> fields to make a primary key.  Therefore, the PostgreSQL SERIAL problem
> should no longer be an issue for this project.
>
> Phil has expanded the varchar fields to accomodate longer, but still
> limited strings.
>
> All the above makes it time to repeat my test of saving my data to the
> three DBs.  So, as before, I opened three copies of gnucash, loaded 3
> duplicate copies of my data, and saved to 3 different DBs.  The next
> part is different from my previous test.  Due to the day of the month,
> many of my scheduled transactions were created. I thought this was fine
> as they would be the same in each instance, so I clicked OK.
>
> Now, hours later, after the initial saves have completed, I come back to
> compare the DBs.  First, I chose to exit the three copies of gnucash.
> Each of them indicated that I need to save my data or else changes from
> the last 10+ hours would be lost.  I assume this is related to the
> scheduled transactions.  Now, all three copies are taking a very long
> time to exit.  Since I can see postgres consuming cycles, it appears
> that a save really is in progress.
>
> Problems:
> 1. It takes far too long.  (I think it likely this will go away when 2
> is dealt with.)  Gnucash appears (from the duration of the operation) to
> be doing a complete save.  It will be tomorrow before I can check the
> DBs for consistency.
> 2. The scheduled transactions were created on opening the data file,
> prior to my selecting to save to a DB.  Therefore, no further saving
> should have been necessary.
>
> I did not try creating any transactions manually, but I would expect
> them to be immediately saved to the DB, and not to ever see this dialog
> on exit when using a DB backend.
>
> Mark

Now that the save has finished, the windows are still present (even
though the save was initiated by selecting File->Quit).  The windows are
unresponsive.  The only menu that will open is the context menu (at the
upper left) provided by the window manager.  Clicking the X button at
the upper right did nothing, as well.  I finally kill'ed all three
processes.

Mark