need help with program

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jul 15 11:15:10 EDT 2008

Jessica Goulding <jessgoulding at yahoo.com> writes:
> I am having trouble with my gnucash software.  I hope this is the place to get help.

The gnucash-user list is more appropriate.

> When I try to open my saved account hierarchy to continue work, I get this message:
>
> Can't parse the URL C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\.gnucash\books\Gnucash heirarchy.20080705110931.20080705125724.log.
>

> If I go down the list within the Books folder, by chance I may be able to open something, but it is not the most recent save.  How can I simply open gnucash and get the most recent accounts information?  I really don't want to set it all up a third time!

You've saved your datafile in $HOME/.gnucash/books/, which is a directory for
Gnucash to manage its state, not for you to save stuff in.  Likely, your
datafile is already trashed, but maybe there's a backup…

The timestamped .log files are not the ones to be looking at.  Try to find
the latest timestamped .xac file in that directory.  If it's of a non-trivial
size, it's hopefully a good backup as of the timestamp.

Move it to a different folder, and rename it to get rid of the timestamp and
whatever. Then open gnucash and File > Open that file.  After that, gnucash
should remember that path, but you can always open the file directly.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}