Importing Data

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Tue Nov 18 12:38:10 EST 2008

On November 18, 2008 09:54:41 am Marcus Wolschon wrote:
> 2008/11/18 Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>:
> >> I remember talk about the gnucash-db-backend back when I started
> >> my first version, about 2 years ago. I'm still looking forward to seeing
> >> it completed and in actual use. It can scale so much better then the
> >> xml-file.
> >
> > How can I best support you by providing info on the new backend?  Do you
> > just want a sample db so you can look at the schema?
>
> Hello Phil,
>
> thanks for the offer.
> Is the new DB-Schema finished and stable yet?
> I had the impression that it was still in development
> and wanted to migrate my own finances to it once it was
> finished.
>
> Then simply look at the schema myself and
> adapt my java-persistence/hibernate-config and the DAO-classes
> to match it. Possibly making more use of queries for some
> of the functions (It uses queries to calculate the flat saldo of an
> account without recursion and without loading lots of transaction-
> splits into memory but could also do so for currency-conversion
> and slot-lookup). I guess the old code can also do with some improved
> transaction-handling.

I would say the main part of the schema is stable but not frozen.  By the
"main part", I mean the part dealing with the user's data.  The old postgresql
back end also had a checkpoint table which kept account balances at various
dates and was used to speed up loading data.  I may need to add a table like
this to the new SQL back end.  The back end hasn't had a lot of user testing,
so there could be further schema changes.  Even here, I imagine changes would
be along the line of removing a "NOT NULL" constraint because there is a code
path which would create a NULL value, and because I don't want to fix that code
path at this point.

Phil