"stable" branch for translation (was: update to po/zh_CN.po)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Oct 22 03:48:21 EDT 2008

Quoting zhangweiwu at realss.com:
> Hi thanks for answer. I didn't use svn version because I was told to use
> stable version in an outdated translation how-to document.

The how-to document always talked about "the stable *branch*". This
means very well a file from SVN. In SVN, there are multiple versions
of the po files available on multiple development branches. The how-to
document clarifies that a translator should always pick the version
that exist in SVN on the "stable" branch, not on any other branch.
Currently, the "stable" branch in SVN is the one whose URL contains
"gnucash/branches/2.2", whereas the non-stable or experimental branch
is the one whose URL contains "gnucash/trunk" (hence the experimental
branch is called "trunk" in short).

> I'll use svn
> version from now on. It's very helpful of you to get the URI of the svn
> file so I don't need to install svn client.

I would suggest installing an SVN client anyway. This is also what the
how-to documents suggest all over the place. If you have a SVN
checkout, creating a patch for sending here will be a built-in
function of the SVN client program called "diff".

> Please apply the parts of the patch that can be applied, the rest of the
> phrases I can find out from rejection files and redo translation of
> these phrases manually again after you committed the (partly working)
> patch and I donwload them again. Then my next translation submission
> should work.

Thanks. I'll commit this soon, but I won't have time for this before
the end of the week. Feel free to send updated patches if more work
has been done.

Regards,

Christian