MySQL sync

Vladimir Bashkirtsev vladimir at bashkirtsev.com
Wed Aug 12 13:26:28 EDT 2009

Hello,

I was testing latest development version with MySQL backend and in
general I was satisfied with the results. Great piece of software!

Now here the scenario I want to happen: I have PHP scripts which deal
with GnuCash data in MySQL DB. It is not a problem to read and show
account records from MySQL. But PHP scripts should be able to post
invoices back to GnuCash DB. This side of business is working well too
but if I have GnuCash open and connected to the same MySQL DB no update
in GnuCash happens. I've being looking for something what may get
GnuCash to re-read records but I cannot find anything like it. Does
MySQL backend has something like this? Perhaps having "last modified" in
DB record would be good and GnuCash should check it periodically. Or the
best way is to not to cache anything in memory and use MySQL for each
single operation. Or I just dreaming? :)

Generally it comes to concurrent use of the same DB by two separate
GnuCash processes and how they get in sync. Without syncing use of DB
does not gain much in relation to XML file.

Regards,
Vladimir

PS: I have read warnings about modification of the data by something but
GnuCash. Still it appears to be the best way to resolve my problem.