how do I get "account type" to show on chart of accounts?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 9 19:00:40 EST 2009

Hi,

First, these questions are user questions and should have been
asked on gnucash-user!

Quoting sylvus tarn <sylvus at rejiquar.com>:

[snip]
> Unfortunately, two or three upgrades ago, the "account type" field
> evidently disappeared off the chart of accounts screen.  I'm using
> gnucash 2.2.6:  "This copy was built from r17427 on 2008-10-02." running
> under kde/kubuntu 8.10 (intrepid).  Gnucash now sorts alphabetically,
> but I want it to sort by account type (then alpha is fine) which is how
> it used to work.  My in-house computer support says I need the column
> labeled "account type" in the chart of accounts to click on to do this.
> Only account name, description and total currently show.

It's there..  Click on the down-arrow on the right side of the CoA headers
and select "Type".

[snip]
> Also:  is there any way to have two instances (in this case, my old
> account and the new one for 2008) open at once?

Sure.   Run GnuCash twice:

gnucash file-1 &
gnucash file-2 &