Want to create a Bengali(bn) Translation Team

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 23 05:03:45 EDT 2009

Hi,

নাসির খান <nasir8891 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> For a few day we were trying to translate the GNU Cash in Bengali language.
> We are very glad to inform you that most of the parts have been translated.
> But we are a very few people who are doing this translation. Now we want to
> spread this through  the Translation Project that everybody can join with
> us.

Excellent!

> I have seen that there is no team who are working on Bengali translation[1].
> In the team index page [2] there is a team named bn_IN who are working form
> India on Bengali Language . But this should not be the official team.
> Because for Ubuntu translation i have seen that the only single team in
> Launchpad is ubuntu-l10n-bn [3] and the members of the team are both from
> Bangladesh and India.
>
> I contacted with the Translation Team Coordinators they told me that the now
> GNUCash  is not  a part of the TP.

This is correct.  We were using the Gnome Translation Project for a
while but that fell through due to various issues about out-of-band
usage and other politics.  Basically, we always have (and always will)
accept translation updates here on the gnucash-devel mailing list.

I don't know why we don't use Launchpad offhand; it's probably a similar
thing where they can't handle the way to do pot generation or something.

> I want to promote GNU Cash in Bangladesh and for this I want to create a
> team for GNUCash Bengali translation. I think the team code should be "bn"
> and a mailing list is needed . How can i get a mailing list? In launchpad i
> was told that to join the "GnuCash i18n" team[4], then what will be the
> procedure to join there? If i want to create a team in Launchpad too for
> translation what should be the team name?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Launchpad, so I can't help you
here.  If you really want a mailing list we could create a GnuCash-BN
list for you, but it would be for more than just translation; it would
be used for discussion *IN* Bengali, so it would imply a
language-specific user help channel as well.  But are there enough
Bengali users to warrant that?

> I am not sure is it the right place to request but in the translation wiki
> page[5] it was told that to mail hare . If it is not then please send me the
> write address.

Yes, this is the correct place to send your bn.po file.  You can attach
it to an email and send it in.