submiting a translated pt_BR.po file

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Apr 8 14:31:07 EDT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 8. April 2010 schrieb Cristian Marchi:
> Hi Miguel,
> the file you submitted is relative to an old pot catalogue (2009-12-07
> as you can see in the "pot-creation-date" line in the file). The newer
> version of the pot file is dated 2010-04-06 (two days ago) so if I merge
> the translation that you submitted with the newer catalogue I get a po
> file with 22 untraslated and 97 fuzzy string. As translation mantainer
> with svn access, I would like to ask to developers what I'm supposed to
> do in this situation: upload the 100% translated (but old) po file or
> the file merged with the newest catalogue?

From the maintainer point of view: Simply ignore the current SVN version and
commit the pt_BR.po file that has been submitted. This at least won't
accidentally loose any translation work.

In this particular case I had updated the po files by "make update-po" from
the most recent template, but if translators have used the previous template
to work on, that's fine as well and we just thankfully use the file from the
translators. The next release will also see a merge of the pt_BR.po file with
the most recent template, so if the translator will continue to work with the
next release (2.3.12 IIRC), he will see the last new strings that need to be
edited. After all, the amount of changes is small; we have 3800 messages, and
at most 200 of them might have changed with the new release. After 2.3.12, we
will also be in string freeze, so that the 2.3.12 template hopefully won't
change for quite some time to come.

Best Regards,

Christian