Translator question: gncEntryLedgerLoad.c lines 49/50 and 59/61

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Apr 22 16:10:44 EDT 2010

Am Mittwoch, 21. April 2010 schrieb Phil Longstaff:
> I'm not positive, but I've looked at the code and this is my best guess.
>
> For gnc_entry_ledger_type_string_getter: The two possibilities are that a
>  discount is an absolute amount (e.g. 2 dollars off) or a relative amount
>  (20% off), and these strings represent either absolute currency "$" or
>  percentage "%".
>
> For gnc_entry_ledger_how_string_getter: There seem to be 3 different ways a
>  discount can be applied, a) PRETAX (probably "<"), b) SAMETIME ("="), or
>  c) POSTTAX (">").  Look in business/business-core/gncEntry.h (about line
>  74).

This explanation seems correct to me, too.

I guess almost any translation just contains the strings unchanged.

This code is almost 10 years old, without almost any changes. The short
strings were introduced in r6158 (2001-12-01) and r6966 (2002-06-16). At the
time neither disambiguation prefixes existed nor did we know about it. Today,
I would strongly suggest the code should be changed so that these "messages"
are longer and a prefixed with a disambiguation prefix,
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Translation#Disambiguation_prefix

Mark: Feel free to propose some disambiguation prefixes here. I would gladly
commit those immediately, because even the untranslated form is just identical
to what anyone can currently see as "translations".

Regards,

Christian