How to translate .schemas string (Whether or not translate the string in the quote?)

Dancefire dancefire at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 07:35:11 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:
> Dear Tao,
>
> this particular string is one of the examples for really bad UI wording, but
> it is almost invisible anyway. The string is from one of the .schemas file,
> isn't it? (Please try to give the source code location as well if you ask
> questions about a string.) In that case, the string will almost certainly
> never be shown inside of gnucash, but only inside the gconf-editor when the
> user wants to set particular gconf keys of gnucash. However, the wording of
> the explanation is problematic as well because the text talks about "the
> start_date key", but the normal user almost certainly doesn't know what a
> "key" is, let alone what the "start_date" key should be (it's one of the
> other gnucash settings that appear in gconf-editor).

The reference of the string is:
src/gnome/schemas/apps_gnucash_window_pages_account_tree.schemas.in.h

> In this particular case, the strings in quotes should *not* be translated,
> as the gconf key in question must be set to the string exactly as written in
> quotes.
>
> BUT for your translation work you should keep in mind that this string as
> well as all the others from the .schemas file will probably never be visible
> inside gnucash, so they are clearly less important for normal gnucash users.
>
> Unfortunatly because the string was defined within a .schemas file, it is
> not possible for us to add a translator's comment there as well. You as
> translator have to know that strings from .schemas file have this particular
> properties (i.e. not visible inside gnucash) and consider them in lower
> priority on your own.

If those string will not likely be shown to user, is that possible
remove them from the .pot file so that translators will not necessary
to struggle on those strings. I have translated many of them, and
finally realize something might be wrong.

During the translation in poedit, I just translate them one by one,
and normally will not check the references file unless something not
sure. Since there are 4k strings in po file, it is not really easy to
determine the priorities by source. Or, maybe I just missed, how
should we determine, which string should put to low priority? Based on
the pattern in the reference file name? Such as, any file under
src/gnome/schemas/, or any file with schemas.in.h?

--
Regards

Tao Wang