How to translate .schemas string (Whether or not translate the string in the quote?)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 27 04:37:27 EDT 2010

Zitat von Mark Haanen <i18n at haanen.net>:

> Op maandag 26-04-2010 om 14:09 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Christian
> Stimming:
>> Zitat von Dancefire <dancefire at gmail.com>:
>> Yes, I know. This is a fundamental problem of the po file format - all
>> strings are equal in there, and there isn't any easy method to assign
>> something that looks like priorities or similar. I know the file is
>> big, but I'm very sorry that we can't easily solve this problem.
>
> I have a suggestion on another solution. In many cases, strings appear
> nearly the same inside the .scheme-files and the UI-files. For an
> example of this I point to messages 1634 and 2034, which only differ by
> the period at the end. From a translator's point of view, it would be
> preferrable if these were _exactly_ identical, as this reduces the
> number of messages to translate. However, I have absolutely no clue as
> to whether or not this would break compatibility...

I completely agree: If strings appear several times, they should be
changed in the source code to be *exactly* identical. Each time I
encountered this, I already made the strings identical, but I might
have missed others as well.

This also doesn't break string freeze (it only removes one string, but
the other continues to be translated), so we can do this right away.
Feel free to send a list of strings that should be changed in this way.

But please don't refer to strings as "message number" because this is
not unique. Each editor might show this differently (e.g. my emacs
doesn't show a message number at all) and it also might change each
time the translation template is re-generated. Instead, please refer
to the strings by their source code location and (especially for the
file intl-scm/guile-strings.c) the comment and/or the complete string.
I'll happily add periods at the end of sentences :-)

Regards,

Christian