Some Problems with 2.3.17 Under OS X

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 01:22:42 EST 2010

I am trying out 2.3.17 on a Mac (OS X 10.5.8), from the dmg download on sourceforge (suilt from svn r19852M on 2010-11-21). I have 2.2.9 installed on my machine, and put 2.3.17 in my Applications folder as Gnucash-2.3.17.app. I ran both the UpdateFinanceQuote.app and the UpdateDirs.app routines included in the bundle.

There are a couple of issues for consideration:

1) The UpdateFinanceQuote.app ran for quite some time, with a number of halts that required user interaction. I accepted the defaults. It appeared to be updating to 1.17. It would be nice if this process didn't require user intervention. Interestingly, when I ran Gnucash, F::Q version 1.15 ran. This may be due to the many iterations of Gnucash installations I've had over the years (mostly Fink; at one point I tried MacPorts, then I moved over to John's dmgs and never looked back). I could imagine the updater finding a version in /sw, but I bring it up as a potential oddity.

2) UpdateDirs created a new set of folders under ~/Library. I note one for 2.2.9 as well as 2.3.17. Is this normal? I'd imagine the 2.2.9 entry not being needed, since this is new? Also, I note that .gnucash continues to hold some information (config.user and saved/user reports), and that caused trouble because I had roguishly installed the eguile balance sheet report under 2.2.9. This caused a nasty duplicate guid error on startup, since the report is now part of the distribution. This problem was tougher to track down because the standard Mac search tool ignores BOTH app bundles (where the 2.3.17 copy of the report was) and dot-directories (where my 2.2.9 copy resides). Add in the fact that 2.3.17 is now seems to be autoloading reports in the .gnucash folder (rendering the config.user commands moot), and it gets more confusing. I was able to clear the situation up finally by removing the .gnucash copy entirely. This took some time to track down.

3) When I renamed my Gnucash.app to Gnucash-2.2.9.app (this was an experiment), I received the request for authorization from osascript (as expected), but when I tried to double click the app, it would not run. The screen blinked for a short split second, and then nothing further happened. Browsing the bundle to the executable in MacOS allowed it to run. Attempting to leave this in the Dock did not succeed in running the program; only running from a command line worked. Renaming this back to Gnucash.app returned functionality.

I'll note that Gnucash-2.3.17.app works in parallel with Gnucash.app, and that I can run either without apparent trouble to my file. I can also simply place Gnucash-2.3.17.app in my dock, and it will run fine.

4) None of my saved reports ported across. Is this how it's supposed to be? That seems like a bug needing fixing.

5) The aforementioned Balance Sheet using eguile (included in the 2.3.17 bundle) is not working for me. It's probably user error... The entire report result is included here:

=======
Balance Sheet (eguile) as at 12/31/2010

An error occurred when processing the template:

ERROR: Unbound variable: opt-bal-label-pos
In current input:
  30: 54* (let* (#) (letrec # # # ...))
   ?: 55  (letrec # # # ...)
 165: 56* (let* (# # # ...) (accrec-set-namelink! accrec-as #) ...)
 190: 57* (if (not #) (begin # # # ...))
 191: 58  (begin # # # ...)
 198: 59* [accrec-set-namelink! # ...
 199: 60*  (if (gnc-numeric-negative-p #) opt-bal-label-neg opt-bal-label-pos)

Cheers,
David

P.S. - I really DIG the Last Reconcile Date in the COA! Thanks!