David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 17:15:35 EST 2010

John--

I haven't been able to try out your suggestions; the problem had mysteriously gone away. I am using XML storage. Interestingly, when I load Gnucash, I see in Activity Monitor that 60% of my CPU utilization is taken up by notifyd. Once the Loading User Data prompt passes, this drops down to .2%.

David