Let's really release 2.4.0 soon

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 16 09:42:15 EST 2010

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Tuesday 14 December 2010, Phil Longstaff wrote:
>> Sounds good.  What, if anything, is required for a 2.4.0 official release
>> over and above 2.3.X RC release?
>>
>> As usual, I'll do the tarballs and release notes.
>>
>>  Phil
>> ---------
>> I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for
>> it.
>>
> I propose to do a 2.4.0 release of the documentation at the same time. This
> documentation release can then be used by the OS X and Windows installers.
>
> Or better even would be to do the documentation release just before the
> program release. The build system has to be updated to use the 2.4
> documentation release instead of trunk.
>
> Or do you prefer to use documentation trunk to go into the Windows and OS X
> installers ?

I believe that builds off trunk should use the trunk docs.  Once we
make the 2.4 branch, then we can set up that branch to build the 2.4
branch docs.

Historically we haven't created the 2.4 branch until somewhere around
the .2 release in order to reduce the amount of work required to merge
in changes.  But I guess it depends on the set of patches lined up for
2.6.