Is there anything I should know to replace GnomeDruid with GtkAssistant?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jul 1 06:41:14 EDT 2010

On Thursday 1 July 2010, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Hi Tao,
>
> thanks for this research. To me, this sounds like it would require
> significant efforts to get back into a source code state that compiles
> on CentOS 5.5. IMHO this effort gives only very little gain. Hence,
> IMHO we should acknowledge that our support of this distro has been
> dropped already, and hence we should increase our required gtk et al
> versions accordingly.
>
> Zitat von Tao Wang <dancefire at gmail.com>:
> > DBI_DECIMAL_SIZEMASK is introduced in r18288, and the macro is only
> > available since libdbi 0.8.2, but CentOS 5.5 only have 0.8.1.
> > gnome_keyring_result_to_message() is introduced in r18842, and the
> > function is only available since libgnome-keyring 2.19.5, but CentOS 5.5
> > only have 0.6.0.
> > g_strcmp0() is appeared in several places, and it is available since glib
> > 2.16, but CentOS 5 only have glib 2.12.3.
>
> These are already three completely unrelated issues, and as you
> correctly indicate, there might be more of those still waiting in the
> code. Again, I think we should just acknowledge the fact we don't
> support the old distro anymore.

This is not good. I was/am a proponent of keeping RHEL5 support, but it looks
indeed like an serious effort that gains relatively little.

The trouble is, I know of additional issues:
- webkit is not available
- goffice for RHEL5 is missing (required) cairo support (introduced by me
early 2010)

These are big issues to fix.

Database support and webkit can be avoided as both are compile time options.
However, these two are the main reasons for 2.4, so removing those would
significantly reduce the added value of 2.4 on RHEL5.

So in the end I agree to drop RHEL5.5, and aim for RHEL6 which will come out
in one of the following months. The interesting question thus: what is now the
oldest/most conservative distro we still support ? Based on
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Dependencies it seems to be Debian Lenny.

Geert