Version references in documentation

Thomas Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:53:21 EDT 2010

Geert and others,

The discussion about version references in code for soon to be reached 2.4 makes me realize I need to find out the conventional wisdom regarding version references in documentation.

Recent emails mentioned that the existing documentation is last current for version 1.8.  Current stable is 2.2.9 and soon to be 2.4 in the not distant future, it seems to me it would be useful to indicate the version number on at least the "how-to-use-feature" instructions.  Some present features are not even documented yet from remarks made in the user and developer's lists.

Has this idea been considered and rejected?  If so, can anyone share the reasoning behind that position?

Thanks.

Tom