gnucash-devel Digest, Vol 87, Issue 15 -- Reimbursable/non reimbursable expenses (Derek Atkins)

Tom Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Sun Jun 13 13:55:18 EDT 2010

Derek, you said:

On 6/9/2010 12:00 PM, gnucash-devel-request at gnucash.org wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:51:54 -0400
> From: Derek Atkins<warlord at MIT.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Reimbursable/non reimbursable expences
> To: "William G. Lea P.E"<bill.lea at petroleumtechnicalassociates.com>
> Cc: gnucash-devel at lists.gnucash.org
>
> Hi,
>
> "William G. Lea P.E"<bill.lea at petroleumtechnicalassociates.com>  writes:
>

>> I need to be able to handle reimbursable business expences. I need to
>> be able to charge milage and driving time against a specific job and
>> also be able to handle non reimbersable expences accumulating them for
>> tax purposes. How can I do this? Asection on this would be usefull.
>>
>> Thnaks
>>
> This is really a question for gnucash-user.
>
> For reimbursible expenses you would put the "expense" into an asset
> account, and then when you get reimbursed it would be a transfer from
> the reimbursibles asset to your cash asset.  For non-reimbursible
> expenses you'd just use a regular expense account.
>
> As you sent this to the devel list, I look forward to seeing your patch
> that updates the documentation!

I would like to learn the process of updating documentation and think
that this issue would be a good one to start on,
assuming it already has not been done.

What are the steps of the patch process?  Where do I find how to
proceed?  I assume it is part of the developer's list.

Since I have never done anything yet for GC, I am well aware I need to
start small and carefully.  Let me know if my
offer works for all of you.

Tom Bullock